of the Madison Chapter of the Wisconsin Alliance for Composers
ARTICLE ONE: Name
The name of this organization shall be the Madison Chapter of the Wisconsin Alliance for Composers (MadWAC) .
ARTICLE TWO: Purpose
The purpose of MadWAC shall be:
- A) to provide an organization dedicated to the needs of music composers born in, residing in, working in, or who previously have lived in Dane County, Wisconsin;
- B) to provide performance opportunities for music composed by members of MadWAC;
- C) to educate the citizenry of Dane County, Wisconsin about the cultural benefits of supporting new music;
- D) to provide support to quality musicians who perform new music in Dane County, Wisconsin area; and
- E) other purposes detailed in the opening statement.
ARTICLE THREE: Membership
- A) Membership in MadWAC shall be extended to all composers of music who fall within the guidelines of Article Two, Section A of these bylaws, and who are members of Wisconsin Alliance for Composers, regardless of the composer's sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, handicap, or musical style.
- B) The membership requirement shall be payment of $10.00 per year in membership dues, due on the anniversary of the member's initial dues payment, to the organization and continued membership in WAC.
- C) Members' benefits shall include:
- Eligibility for compositions to be performed at events sponsored by MadWAC;
- Voting privileges at business meetings of MadWAC;
- Eligibility to serve on the Executive Committee, or as the Secretary/Treasurer, of MadWAC, and
- Reduced admission into all events sponsored by MadWAC.
ARTICLE FOUR: Associate Membership
- A) Associate Membership in MadWAC shall be extended to all non-composers who wish to support MadWAC and new music in Dane County, Wisconsin.
- B) Associate Members' requirement shall be payment of $5.00 per year in dues to MadWAC, due on the anniversary of the member's initial dues payment.
- C) Associate members' benefits shall include:
- Reduced admission to MadWAC-sponsored events;
- Voting privileges at all MadWAC business meetings; and
- Eligibility to serve on the Executive Committee, or as the Secretary/Treasurer, of MadWAC.
ARTICLE FIVE: Executive Committee
- A) The Executive Committee shall consist of three members, elected by the general membership in September of each year, and each shall have a one year term. The executive committee members shall serve without pay.
- B) The duties of the Executive Committee shall include:
- Conduct business of MadWAC and determine agendas for general membership meetings;
- Inform the membership about meetings;
- Act on behalf of MadWAC in meetings with arts organizations, news media, and donors;
- Sign contracts on behalf of MadWAC;
- Choose adjudicators for contests and calls for scores sponsored by MadWAC; and
- Appoint an interim Secretary/Treasurer to serve until the next general membership meeting in case of vacancy.
ARTICLE SIX: Secretary/Treasurer
- A) The Secretary/Treasurer of MadWAC shall be an elected position with a
term of one year. The Secretary/Treasurer shall serve without pay.
- B) The duties of the Secretary/Treasurer shall include:
- Maintenance of all bank accounts of MadWAC;
- Provide a financial report at all MadWAC meetings;
- Sign checks on behalf of MadWAC;
- Collect and keep track of membership dues; and
- Take and record minutes of all meetings.
- C) The Secretary/Treasurer may serve on the Executive Committee at the same time s/he is serving as Treasurer.
ARTICLE SEVEN: Meetings
- A) The membership shall have periodic meetings to discuss and decide on business of MadWAC. All members will be informed by the Executive Committee by mail no later than ten (10) days in advance of the meeting. The notices will include an agenda decided by the Executive Committee.
- B) Quorum for general membership meetings will be one-tenth (1/10th) of the membership. No proxies or written ballots will be allowed in voting or counting towards a quorum. After any meeting is called to order, the number of participants may decrease to any number without losing a quorum. All decisions, unless otherwise stated in these by-laws, will be made by majority (more than 50%) vote by those present and voting.
- C) The general membership meetings may:
- Decide on general business for MadWAC;
- Approve expenditures from MadWAC's funds;
- Elect or remove Executive Committee members;
- Elect or remove the Secretary/Treasurer;
- Elect interim Executive Committee members or an interim Secretary/Treasurer to fill vacant positions for the remainder of a term; and
- Amend these by-laws by a vote of more than seventy-five (75) percent of those present and voting.
- D) The general membership meetings may not make decisions that are
contrary to these by-laws.
ARTICLE EIGHT: Adoption of these by-laws
These by-laws will go into effect after a vote of seventy-five (75) percent of participants at a general membership meeting. Amendments to these by-laws will be allowed provided that they are made in a manner consistent with Article 7, Section C of these by-laws.
ARTICLE NINE: Institutional Membership
- A) Institutional membership in MadWAC shall be offered to all institutions which are Institutional Members of WAC, and which wish to support MadWAC and new music in Dane County, Wisconsin.
- B) Institutional Members' requirement shall be payment of $15.00 per year in dues to MadWAC, due on the anniversary of the member's initial dues payment.
- C) Institutional Members' benefit is receipt of all MadWAC membership mailings.
ARTICLE TEN: Outreach Coordinator
- A) The Outreach Coordinator of MadWAC shall be elected by the membership for a term of one year. The Outreach Coordinator shall serve without pay.
- B) The duties of the Outreach Coordinator shall include:
- Act as a liaison between MadWAC and primary and secondary educational institutions, and philanthropic organizations which support arts education in Dane County, Wisconsin.
- Establish educational programs to encourage new music appreciation and composition among primary- and secondary-school students.
- Serve as a representative of MadWAC in any coalition formed to promote the cause of arts education.
- C) All programs to be instituted by the Outreach Coordinator shall be approved by the Executive Committee.
Amendments to These Bylaws
The MadWAC bylaws were ratified at the general membership meeting on July 7, 1994. Articles 9 and 10 were added, and article 3, section A, amended, at the general membership meeting on May 14, 1996.
[WAC Main Page]
Copyright © 1997, 1998 Wisconsin Alliance for Composers. All rights reserved.
Last updated 10 November 1998. Contact information.